Extended Health Benefits
Health Benefits for CUPE 23 members are provided through Pacific Blue Cross. Please talk to your steward or a member of the executive if you feel your benefits have been unreasonably denied.
Negotiated with the City through Parks & Rec, the bActive pass gives a discount on access to Recreation facilities to CUPE 23 members. The pass allows you to be flexible with your selections. Enjoy fitness, aquafit, indoor cycling sessions as well as admissions to swimming, public skating and weight rooms or book half of racquetball and squash court rental. When purchasing your B Active Pass, please make sure to bring your City identification with you (ie: Staff ID Card; Cheque Stub along with Driver’s License; etc) . . . this will make things a lot easier for staff at our various facilities. Thanks for your assistance . . . it is really appreciated!!!
If you are aware of a member (in good standing) who has been off work for 2 weeks for health reasons, please notify the Union office so that we can arrange to have a fruit basket prepared. Fruit baskets can be arranged for pick up on any day but with at least one day’s notice by a co-worker at Kensington Safeway.
When you contact the Union office, please provide the following information:
- Member’s name who is off work
- The name of the member who will pick the fruit basket up
- The date that the fruit basket will be picked up and delivered to the member.
Note: You will be advised when you call the office if the member is not in good standing and therefore, not eligible.
A certificate and cheque in the amount of $1000.00 will be issued upon retirement to members who have been in good standing in the Union for 10 or more years.The certificate and Retirement Benefit cheque will be issued on your retirement date. However, if we are advised of a retirement event in your honour, we will make every reasonable attempt to have the documents ready for presentation at the event by an officer of the Union.
How to apply for the Retirement Benefit:
Once you have submitted your retirement papers to the City of Burnaby, provide the information to the Union office:
- Confirm the date you were sworn in to become a member in good standing;
- The date of your retirement
- The date of your last day worked
- The details of a retirement event
Unless otherwise arranged, your certificate and cheque will be mailed to your home address.
Retirement Planning Seminars are held from time to time and members are encouraged to take this course 5-10 years prior to their estimated retirement date. Notices will be posted on the ‘Education’ page of the website.
A grant in the amount of $1,000.00 shall be paid upon the death of a member in good standing payable to the estate of the decedent.If you become aware of a co-worker who has passed away, please notify the Union office as soon as possible.
Employment Insurance Compassionate Care Benefits
Link to Government of Canada web page
Guide for CUPE BC Members – Access to WCB Benefits Age 65 and Over
Guide for CUPE BC Members (pdf document) – Access to WCB Benefits Age 65 and Over
Pensions for CUPE 23 members are provided through the BC Municipal Pension Plan (MPP).
All employees of the City are considered members for purposes of being protected by the Collective Agreement.
However, a member of the Local Union shall be considered in good standing if:
- They have properly applied and been accepted as members; and
- They have taken the Oath of Obligation; and
- They have not engaged in activities contrary to the Oath of Obligation or to the
- Constitution and By-Laws and policies of the National Union; and
- They are employed and paying Union dues.
Members in good standing enjoy certain entitlements voted on and provided by the Local Union:
- When you are off work due to illness for more than 10 working days, your co-workers can arrange a fruit basket be sent to you;
- If you have been a member in good standing for more than 10 years, the Union will issue a retirement benefit in the amount of $1000.00
- You can apply to take courses /educational opportunities offered by the Union with all costs covered
- You can be considered as a delegate to conventions, as a representative to attend conferences or other events
- You can apply for scholarships and / awards offered by the Union
Conversions are negotiated between the Union and the City for jobs that no longer fit in the existing definition. For example: The Union may argue that an Auxiliary position be converted to RPT, TFT or RFT due to the nature of the work and the hours.
If you feel that your job should be considered for conversion, please complete this questionnaire.
Once the Union receives your request, we will take the matter up when Conversions are next negotiated. Being placed on the Conversions List does not guarantee that your job will be converted. Your Conversion Request is active only in the current calendar year. If you did not get converted, please apply again in January next year. Your Division Chair may contact you if we require further information or an update.