All employees of the City are considered members for purposes of being protected by the Collective Agreement.
However, a member of the Local Union shall be considered in good standing if:
- They have properly applied and been accepted as members; and
- They have taken the Oath of Obligation; and
- They have not engaged in activities contrary to the Oath of Obligation or to the
- Constitution and By-Laws and policies of the National Union; and
- They are employed and paying Union dues.
Members in good standing enjoy certain entitlements voted on and provided by the Local Union:
- When you are off work due to illness for more than 10 working days, your co-workers can arrange a fruit basket be sent to you;
- If you have been a member in good standing for more than 10 years, the Union will issue a retirement benefit in the amount of $1000.00
- You can apply to take courses /educational opportunities offered by the Union with all costs covered
- You can be considered as a delegate to conventions, as a representative to attend conferences or other events
- You can apply for scholarships and / awards offered by the Union